CALL US: (903) 882-5332 | INFO@LINDALETEXAS.COM
Brief History of Lindale, Texas
Established in 1871 along the Tyler to Mineola railroad, Lindale was named for Elija Lindsey, the first merchant in the area. Several local stories abound about how Lindale got its name, but the most common one claims that Lindsey's name was combined with the suffix "dale" to form "Lindseydale." The name was shortened to Lindale in 1874 when the first post office opened in town.
Lindsey was the brother-in-law of Governor Richard B. Hubbard; a former officer in the Confederate Army and owner of a large plantation on which is now built "Hideaway Lake" (a private gated community). After the Civil War, Gov. Hubbard began searching for a more convenient way to ship produce grown on his land. Eventually he convinced railroad officials to lay track between nearby Tyler and Mineola.
Lindale is located due west of Steen Saline (salt wells or mines) where 3,000 men were employed during the Civil War to supply salt to the Confederate Army. The city also is located just south of the Vial – Fragoso Trail (historic marker north on CR 431 at CR 452, 6 miles north of Lindale), a trade route blazed in 1788 from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to Nachitoches, Louisiana. Later the trail became a cattle drive trail, then a stage coach route, and finally the main Dallas-to-Shreveport road prior to the construction of US 80. By 1888, the fruit-growing and canning industries flourished in the area, and by 1900 Lindale was known as the “fruit and berry center” of Texas.
Today, Lindale is the home of many rose fields. A large percentage of the famous Tyler roses are grown and processed for shipment here. The area also has several wholesale tree farms.
The local motto of “Good County Living” is celebrated the second Saturday in October with the Lindale Chamber of Commerce’s CountryFest. A few weeks later, the community celebrates the Christmas season with a parade and tour of homes the first Saturday in December. Many businesses also sponsor open houses.
Lindale is the hometown of renowned country singer Miranda Lambert. Ms. Lambert's family lives here, and she visits the area occasionally. The Lambert family operates the Miranda Lambert Store and HQ in downtown Lindale, where visitors can purchase Miranda Lambert souvenirs.
Increasingly Lindale is becoming a retail center and a node of commerce along Interstate 20, and attractinng a good selection of hotels, restaurants and retail outlets. The city is growing in strategic value for distribution activities as well. For example, in 1998 Lindale became home to the 1.6-million-sq.-ft. Target Distribution Center on Interstate 20, known (at that time) as the largest “tilt-wall construction” building in the U.S.
Lindale Industrial Park is located at the intersection of I-20 and Harvey Road in Lindale Texas.
Overview of business, industry, and quality of life in Lindale, Texas. You'll love living in Lindale!
Overview of LISD produced by the Lindale EDC. Lindale has a top rated school district.
Business testimonial by Bob Rothlisberger, Yorkshire Federal, Inc. for Lindale, Texas.
Business Testimonial for Lindale, Texas by Jerry Alexander, owner of Red Barron Properties in Lindale, Texas.
Copyright © 2008 - 2011 Lindale Economic Development Corporation
Developed & Powered by EDsuite